1967 R60/2 Vin# 1811676

click image for larger gallery

Restored - For Sale (Price on Request)

This project came to me in 2022 along with a 1968 R60US which I am planning to finish as an R60/2. This bike was very rough and had been in a cold storage for many years. The oils, fluids and grease were dirty. I spent a few days getting the bike apart and sorted. The rear fender pin was rusted and needed to be drilled out. Carburetor slides were frozen with built up oxidation. The motor came apart easily and the interior was in extremely clean condition. The bore was clean but new Schmidt pistons were be fitted. The heads rebuilt with new valves and guides. The tank was clean inside and free of dents. Chrome went to be re-chromed and all polished parts went to my polisher. The hardware was sent to be CAD plated. I am planning to do the bike in Dover White and will powder coat the frame and rear swing arm. I got a jump on the media blasting of all the small parts for the painter and most is now finished and ready to leave with the paint and powder pieces.

The paint and powder coat is back. Both media blasted to bare metal before the finished color applied. The frame and  swing arms received Prismatic Color powder and the tank and fenders were finished in Dover White, base/clear. All of the electrics were totally dismantled and cleaned and rebuilt with new points, condenser and coil. The carbs were chemically cleaned and the bodies media blasted with a 9 mil bead for a softer looking surface, the internals fitted with new jets. Swing arms were fitted with new bearings and seals and the frame received new taper roller steering head bearings. Euro low bars  purchased for the project. The clutch and throttle perches stripped and painted, fitted with polished levers, new switches and harnesses along with newly chromed risers.

The motor and all the cases have been cleaned with a solvent cleaner and a brass brush. I did this to maintain the appearance of a normal patina. Normally, I media blast the cases but this process seemed more in keeping with the project.

The project is now finished and the outcome is stunning. The bike has been started and timed. the carbs have been synchronized and the bike starts with a single kick.

For more information on this bike, contact Jim using the form below:

    Modifications and/or Repairs:
    • Frame and swing arms were stripped to bare metal and zinc primed before ivory gloss powder coat was applied.
    • New locks with key for side compartment on the tank.
    • Engine was totally disassembled and evaluated.
    • Crankshaft was evaluated and found in excellent condition, new slingers installed on front and rear.
    • New Schmidt pistons installed in newly bored cylinders.
    • New BMW Center stand and side stand installed.
    • New Kibble White Black Diamond valves, guides and springs were installed where needed in reconditioned heads.
    • All new FAG or SKF bearings and new seals were installed in the engine.
    • Cases were hand cleaned with solvent and brass brush to create a natural patina.
    • Shocks were dismantled and rebuilt with new cartridges where needed and new shock rubbers installed.
    • Swing arms received new bearings and seals properly packed and lubricated.
    • Wheel hubs were media blasted and coated with clear satin to prevent oxidation
    • New SKF wheel bearings installed and properly shimmed lubricated, new seals installed.
    • Wheels were laced with new stainless spokes on to newly polished aluminum Hi lip rims and trued with the proper offset
    • New Metzler tires and tubes, 350-18, were mounted and balanced.
    • New Center stand and a new side stand installed.
    • The rubber parts have all been replaced with new rubber from the headlight ear mounts to the foot pegs.
    • Carburetors were dismantled bead blasted and rebuilt with new jets and gaskets
    • A new Karcoma petcock.
    • A new wiring harness’, switches, seals, grommets, gaskets, replaced with new.
    • Bar end Hella signals and headlight mirrors added.
    • New throttle, clutch, brake and speedo cables.
    • 6 volt battery installed with fused trickle charge link.
    • Pagusa saddle was installed.
    • Original BMW tank emblems
    • The bike received fresh lubricants
    • New header pipes, hangers and stock BMW mufflers have been installed.
    • Original and new-old-stock parts were used where possible

    More Restored Motorcycles

    More Used Motorcycles

    Leave a Reply