This 1960 R69 BMW motorcycle has original matching numbers. It has been completely restored, from the ground up. The frame and swing arms were stripped, zinc primed, and powder coated and then scuffed with 300 grit paper and painted along with the sheet metal to make the color scheme of the bike totally consistent. Powder coat product is never the exact color of the final paint. The fenders and remaining sheet metal were media blasted and repaired, welded where needed, primed and BSAF paint was applied by David Sterns from Autopia. David has been restoring antique and classic automobiles for 30 years. Hand pinstriping was done by Mark Weld. All chrome parts were rechromed. Chroming and Cad Plating were done by Niagara Plating. Aluminum was professionally polished by Barnes polishing and Plating.
This R69 has been owned by me for a short time and has 1,640 miles on the speedometer. It has has been stored in a heated facility since I restored it and I have done all of the maintenance service.
Original and NOS parts were used where possible.
- Engine, transmission, and final drive were totally disassembled and evaluated
- New pistons, valves, guides and all new bearings and seals were installed including the correct rear main spherical bearing which was customary on the R50S, R69 and the R69S.
- Cases were media blasted and clear coated with Eastwood Clear Satin Hi Temp Sealer to prevent oxidation
- A correct rear spherical bearing was installed
- Shocks were dismantled and rebuilt with new cartridges and rubbers
- Swing arms received properly packed and lubed bearings and seals
- Wheel hubs were media blasted and coated with clear satin to prevent oxidation
- New wheel bearings were properly shimmed and seals replaced
- Wheels were laced with new stainless spokes, newly polished Weinmann Hi lip rims and trued with the proper offset
- New Heidenau tires and tubes, 350-18, were mounted and balanced
- Carburetors were dismantled and soda blasted
- A new wiring harness, seals, grommets, gaskets, switches, bulbs were added
- Carburetors were totally reconditioned by Barrington Motor Works, cleaned, fitted with all new parts and vacuum ports for easier balancing and adjustment.
- This bike has a 12 volt charging system made by Bench Mark Works and a 12 volt sealed battery.
- Bar end Hella signals, Albert headlight mirrors and a chrome headlight guard were added
- Speedometer was totally rebuilt by Foreign Speedometer with a new bezel and set to 00000
- New cables and battery were installed
- Denfeld solo seat, tank rosettes, and new emblems were added
- The bike received fresh lubricants with 30 weight non-detergent break-in oil in the crankcase.
- New header pipes, hangers and stock BMW mufflers were installed.
- Original and new-old-stock parts were used where possible