1962 R50S #564548
Restored - Not For Sale
This 1962 R50S is one of the more sought after BMW bikes because BMW built so few and for only 2 years. The total production is in the 1,400+ range. Many of these bikes were used for racing so the engines were separated from the matching number frame and therefore lost much of their collectability.
The frame has been striped to bare metal and zinc primed and powder coated along with the swing arms and center stand. The painted parts, fenders and tank were painted with single stage black and pin stripped. The crank shaft has been rebuilt to factory specs and the engine fitted with all new seals and bearings along with the correct rear spherical bearing. Transmission and final drive were also totally rebuilt. Weinmann rims were professionally polished and laced with stainless steel spokes, trued and new Heidenau tires and tubes mounted. Wheel bearings are new and properly pre-loaded and lubricated with new seals.
Electrics are new, main harness, switch harness’, switches, Hella bar end signals and a 12 volt conversion upgrade to the charging system.
This R50S is currently under complete restoration and the expected completion date around July 2017. Follow the step-by-step restoration process at:
- This bike was totally dismantled and evaluated. Frame, swing arms and a few other parts sent to be stripped to bare metal, zinc primed and powder coated.
- All painted parts were evaluated, welded where needed body work completed and painted black, single stage.
- Engine, transmission, and final drive were stripped, media blasted and put back together with new bearings and seals including the spherical rear bearing used on all the “S: models and the R68 and R69 bikes. All cases then coated with Eastwood Clear Satin sealer to prevent oxidation.
- Carburetors were totally rebuilt.
- New bearings were installed in both swing arms with new seals.
- Wheels were stripped, hubs media blasted, rims professionally polished and laced with stainless steel spokes.
- Wheels were given new bearings, properly preloaded, and new set of Heidenau tires and tubes were mounted and balanced.
- Polished parts and re-chromed parts were done by Niagara Plating.
- Cylinders were bored to 3rd over and new Schmidt pistons, BMW Valves, guides and seats were installed by North East Machine.
- New fork and tank locks were replaced.
- Shock cartridges were evaluated and replaced where needed.
- Emblem accents were added to set off the BMW logo.
- All new wiring was installed along with a 12 volt charging system and Hella Bar end signals.
- A pair of Albert headlight mount mirrors were installed.
- A new set of BMW exhaust headers and mufflers were mounted.
- The R50S received complete lubrication along with 30 weight HD break-in oil to be used for the first 500 miles.